Arbuthnot and Company Limited (GACL)
originated as a partnership firm
in the early part of the 19th
Century, started by Mr. F. M.
Gillanders and Mr. G. C.
Arbuthnot. It was incorporated
as a Limited Company under the
Indian Companies Act VII of 1913
on 1st February, 1935. It became
part of well known Kothari Group
of Companies in the late sixties
(for further details please
Late Shri G. D. Kothari, a well
known and respected
industrialist, was the promoter
of the group, which has
interests in plantations,
healthcare, chemicals, machine
tools, engineering, real estates
and trading business activities.
primarily deals in tea, textiles
and engineering business
activities. It also owns the
famous building 'Gillander
House' in Kolkata. GACL has a
diversified business portfolio
which has helped it in achieving
a steady performance by
overcoming adverse cyclical
fluctuations to which its
various businesses may be
exposed from time to time.